By now, I’m sure you are quite familiar with the numerous risks associated with too much sitting as well as the importance of integrating healthy movement into your day. If you are nodding your head in agreement, feel free to skip ahead. Otherwise, read on for a quick summary of the consequences of too much sitting and the benefits of switching between sitting and standing throughout your workday.
Why is too much sitting really that bad, you ask?
1. Your body was not designed to spend 40 hours a week sitting still in a chair. Rather, your body craves frequent movement in order to stay alert, energized, and healthy.
2. Sitting for too long can result in the assumption of awkward and harmful postures (such as slouching, hunching over, twisting, and straining) which can lead to leg cramps, stiff muscles and joints, back pain, headaches, and fatigue. In the long run, these awkward postures have been shown to contribute to significant musculoskeletal disorders.
3. Research shows that when you spend less time on your feet, a crucial part of your metabolism slows down.
4. Regardless of your daily exercise regimen, spending many hours a day in a sitting position puts you at greater risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, several cancers, and, in extreme cases, an early death.
5. Overall, too much sitting makes it easier for you to gain weight which ultimately causes you to become more prone to all of the health problems that are associated with weight gain.
What are some of the benefits associated with switching between sitting and standing, or “sit-standing”?
1. Although it may sound ridiculous, because it requires you to tense your leg muscles, engage your back and shoulder muscles, and shift your weight from one leg to the other at times, standing burns calories!
2. Not only does standing result in higher calorie burn, but it also ensures better posture.
3. The contraction of muscles while standing triggers the production of many substances in your body that aid how you use and store sugars and fats, and, as a result, spending more time standing can speed up your metabolism!
4. By enabling you to move around more freely, standing allows for more natural activity throughout your workday which can improve your circulation, increase energy levels, and stimulate brain activity.
5. Studies have shown that switching between a sitting position and a standing position at work will reduce stress on the body and, as a result, significantly decrease the amount of injuries that are caused by too much sitting.
6. Finally, greater bone density, improved sleep at night, and more active participation have all been proven to be direct results of workers spending more time standing throughout the workday.
With all of the above in mind, it is no surprise that the experts at Ergotech have strategically developed a height-adjustable workspace solution which ensures that you will never again feel trapped sitting in that same slumped-over, stiff position at your desk all day. Ergotech’s all new One-Touch height-adjustable desk systems have been designed to do the impossible! Allowing you to sit, stand, and change position with ease at any point in the day, Ergotech’s One-Touch product line consists of five different sit-stand height-adjustable systems that are guaranteed to keep you healthy throughout your workday. Powered by an electric motor, Ergotech’s sit-stand systems hold true to their name by allowing you to easily adjust the desired height with just one touch of a button!
With five different systems satisfying five different needs, Ergotech’s One-Touch product line blows the competition away. For starters, compared to Ergotron’s Workfit-S Dual, Ergo Desktop’s Kangaroo Pro, Humanscale’s Float Table, Versatables’ Height Adjustable Crank Table , and Health Postures’ TaskMate Go 6300, Ergotech’s One-Touch systems are the only available options for mounting up to 27-inch monitors. Among these competitors, neither Ergotron nor Health Postures provides users with the ability to tilt their monitors, and the solutions of Humanscale, Versatables, and Health Postures all fail to provide users with the option of panning their monitors. Not surprisingly, Ergotech’s One-Touch height-adjustable systems not only enable users to both tilt and pan their monitors, but also, unlike any of the height-adjustable systems of Ergotech’s competitors, Ergotech’s One-Touch systems allow users to rotate their monitors as well. Even further, Ergotech’s height-adjustable solutions are the only ones on the market today that have a weight capacity as high as 100 pounds!
So with all of that said, as long as you want to be healthy, productive, comfortable, and injury-free at work, and if you are interested in the best option on the market today, you should seriously consider investing in the all new One-Touch product line by Ergotech Group. For more information, keep an eye out for our next post in which we will further discuss each of the five systems that are offered by Ergotech’s One-Touch product line!
Written by Julia Cavaliere – Ergotech Group, INC.
March 13, 2014